Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism / May 2016, Master of Science
• Master classes included rise and fall reporting, international journalism, on-air skills, mobile content creation, site development, video editing, and digital storytelling for web. Reported on lack of Skype transparency, public parks in the Bronx being remodeled as parking lots for the new Yankee Stadium. Master’s thesis told the story of Hasidic businesswomen in Brooklyn, utilizing a new wealth of loans being made available to Orthodox Jewish mothers.
The University of Texas at Austin / May 2015, B.S., Journalism
• Through FOIA requests, race discrepancies were uncovered between Texas police officers and the communities they serve. Collaborative investigation waspublished in The Dallas Morning News. As a general assignment reporter for TheDaily Texan, an award winning student newspaper, I covered sporting eventsincluding the NCAA’s basketball championship. Certificate in intensive Arabic.
PBS NewsHour, Current | National Affairs
Responsibilities include field producing, booking and location scouting. Responsible for live and taped production for broadcast mediums. General assignment reporter and photojournalist covering science, politics, the gig economy and media. Leadership role in fact checking, monitoring breaking news and control room production during nightly newscast, including conventions, debate nights and special events.
Austin American Statesman, 2015 | Freelance Writer
First to report hiring policies that allowed two brothers convicted of violently assaulting a gay man to teach and grade UT Austin students. The university fired staff members after my story ran on the front page and brought 30K hits to the website its first day.
Dallas Morning News, 2015 | Award Winning Freelancer
Four-part series collaboration between UT Austin and The Dallas Morning News, documenting the racial divide between Texas law enforcement agencies and the communities they protect.
WFAA-TV, June 2014- September 2014 | News Intern
Routinely produced, scripted and edited day of air packages, assisting WFAA.com to produce local fast breaking write-ups. Highlights include producing an exclusive interview with the Dallas Police chief on a booking glitch that resulted in inmates being wrongfully released.
• AP Style, Adobe Creative Suite, Adobe Audition, Final Cut Pro, XD/DSLR/GoPro Cameras, Excel, Archival Research, iNEWS, Media Central.
• With an ever-growing Twitter following, tweets regularly featured online with Huffington Post and serve as a PBS NewsHour twitter host.
• BYLINES: The Dallas Morning News, Austin American Statesman, PBS NewsHour, WFAA-TV, VICE and Reporting Texas.
First Amendment Award: In-Depth Online Reporting
- Society of Professional Journalists, Fort Worth Chapter.
Murrey Jacobson, Senior Producer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jason Whitely, Senior News Reporter at WFAA-TV, email@example.com
Ed Timms, Deputy Editor of Roll Call, firstname.lastname@example.org